How do we know Local Area Coordination works?
Over the past 30 years, there have been many evaluations that show, where it is designed properly with local people and there is strong, connected leadership there are very consistent positive outcomes.
- Swansea University evaluation (2017) – a comprehensive study showing cost benefit of 2-3:1 in first year, anticipated to rise to 3-4:1. Increased relationships and connections, reduced dependence on/need for formal services (add link to Swansea Uni paper in publications
- Southampton Solent University evaluation (2016) – a focus on the impact and outcomes through co production in the development of Local Area Coordination
- Social Return on Investment (SROI) evaluations in Derby City (link) and Thurrock (link) showing 4:1
- Derby City diverted costs/savings of £800k in first 12 months in 2 locations whilst operating at 40% capacity,
- Thurrock Council found reductions in referrals/visits to GP, A&E, adult care, mental health and safeguarding services; avoided housing evictions,
- Reduced dependence on day services and better health outcomes